- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 2 cups Sliced Onions
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs left whole
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat berries
- 1/2 cup split chana dal or a mix of other split dals such as urad, toor, red lentils etc
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala divided
Turn the Instant Pot on Sauté and when it is hot, add the ghee.
To the hot ghee, add the thinly sliced onions and sauté until the onions are brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
Remove half the onions and set them aside for garnishing
To the pot with half the onions and ghee, add the chicken, wheat berries and chana dal, 4 cups water, ginger, garlic, cayenne, turmeric, salt, cumin, coriander and 1 teaspoon of the garam masala.
Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Then release all remaining pressure.
Open the lid and using an immersion blender, purée the meat and grains together until you have a smooth, thick stew.
Add 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala and stir.
Garnish with julienned ginger, the reserved fried onions, and chopped cilantro.
Pour the additional ghee on top, and serve.
- You can substitute mutton or beef for the chicken in this recipe without changing anything else.
- Serve with naan or rice.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Fiber: 4g