- 2 tablespoons olive oil, 30 ml
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes, or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 cup water, 8 oz, a 8 qt Instant Pot might need 1.5 cups (12 oz)
- 8 oz penne pasta, around 2 -2.5 cups penne pasta
- 14.5 oz can diced tomato, I used fire roasted
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, 4 oz
- 2 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1-2 tablespoons pine nuts, optional
Press the saute button and then press the adjust button to set saute to “less”.
Once it displays hot, add 2 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes until fragrant.
Add the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sugar and stir.
Add 1 cup water (you might need 1.5 cups water for 8 qt IP). Make sure there’s nothing at bottom, most probably there won’t be as we saute on low heat.
Then add 8 oz penne pasta, a can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Do not stir especially if your Instant Pot model gives the BURN message.
Close the pot with its lid. Press the manual or pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. For softer pasta do 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure by manually moving (be careful) the pressure valve from sealing to venting position.
Open the pot and stir everything together. Press the saute button again and use the adjust button to set saute to “less”.
Add in the heavy cream and stir.
Add the 2 oz cream cheese and stir. Keep stirring until the cream cheese melts and mixes well with the sauce. Taste test and adjust seasonings at this point.
Then add fresh basil and stir. Also add the pine nuts (if using, optional) and mix.
Serve this creamy tomato basil pasta with more basil or parmesan cheese. Enjoy!