The authentic recipe of General Tso’s chicken always calls for the following ingredients:
- Soy sauce. Use a good quality soy sauce.
- Dark soy sauce lends nice dark brown color to the dish.
- Chinese rice vinegar plays a vital role in lending the bold vinegary note to the sauce.
- Hoisin Sauce is the secret ingredient.
- Dried red chilies—an important ingredient in Hunan cooking, making the chicken and the sauce mildly spicy.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN?
To make this chicken, you will need chicken meat – I prefer chicken breasts. Cut the chicken into cubes and coat the chicken generously with corn starch. Deep fry the chicken until they turn light to golden brown.
Next, stir fry the minced ginger, garlic, and dried chilies and pour the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This recipe is only 398 calories per serving.
WHAT DISHES TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE?
For a wholesome Chinese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.